About Me

I Love to knit! I have been Knitting for about 8 years and I have really started to knit much more frequently in the last couple years. I used to only knit in the winter & now I want to knit year round and make more & more gifts. I find it very relaxing and a good outlet for stress. I am curently contimplaiting becoming a certified knitting teacher, which would give me the opportunity to teach knitting at a local craft store. I have to take two classes but I am really excited about the possiblities.

Thursday, September 16, 2010

My Favoirte Fibers & Needle organization (or lack there of)

Favorite Fibers

I don't know if I am the only knitter this happens to but I find myself knitting w/ the same yarns all the time.  It seems like I am always knitting w/ either Sugar N Cream or Cascade 220, the wool I felt with. 


I love knitting w/ cotton I think that is why I use the Sugar N Cream so much.  That is what I made my baby blocks & the puppy out of.  You can get it on sale pretty regulary. And I just found out that Walmart now sells Sugar N Cream instead of the genaric Peaches N Cream.  They sell it for ONLY $1.47 a skien.!!!!At my last trip to Ben Franklin I paid $2.48 a skien . :-o  I checked the yards to make sure they were the same exsact stuff & yep. 

I do like knitting w/ the Microspun I am making the eye pillows with it is really easy to work with.  And the newest yarn I purchased that I think I am really going to enjoy is called "little grins" it is 60% cotton & 40% acrylic and it feels nice & soft. It is Machine washable, Dry Cleanable & Tumble dryable.  This is what I am making the boys snakes out of.  I am hoping to get one of the snakes done this weekend.

Needle Organization (or lack there of)

My Favorite type of knitting needle is the Clover brand Bamboo needles.  I LOVE THEM.  Although they are not very good if you are a tight knitter.  They have a little bit of tooth to them so they hold on the the stitches really well so if you are a tight knitter it can be VERY difficult to knit you stitches. So this is how I have all my needles right now (see pic)
Yep that is it ONE BIG MESS!!!! It is difficult for me to find what I need when I need it.  But I do have this wonderful Android App called: "Knitting Stash"  You can impute all your needles, their sizes, what type they are: DNPS, Straight or Circular & how long they are.  It also keeps tracks of your projects & offers counters.  So when I got the app I went through the whole basket, w/ a needle sizer for the ones where the size has worn off, and put them all in the app then promptly threw them back into the basket. :-)  My SIL did buy me this needle organizer for Christmas the year before last...
it is very nice and holds 12 sets of straight needles & technically I could put some DNPS in some of them but no spot for circulars & they are my favorite type of needle to knit with.  So now I am dreaming of some really fancy needle organizers by Namaste.  They are beautiful & soft leather.  They have been added to my Christmas list in hopes that my needles will be all organized someday. 

No comments:

Post a Comment